Marshall-

That is really great information.

I was told that I required 'bigger' electrodes and not smaller ones.?? Now
that I think about it all HVAC systems do seem to have skinny tiny bits of
electrodes sticking out of glass tubes just as you describe it.
 I am not sure what the voltage I am using is but it is somewhere between 3
and 6,000 volts DC.
 My max amp draw was 3 to 400ma using 14 guage wires submerged about 5
inches each.
 and yes, things do heat up in hurry that is for sure.

I will have to run some more tests again now but this time exposing only a
tiny bit of the electrodes as you suggest. A good weekend project.

many thanks