Hi folks,

Catching up on the last day's worth of messages, I had to choke back
laughter at how many times folks said something like "We should take
this to the Off Topic list!"

Yep, a slightly more disciplined approach to moving such topics to the
Off Topic List at the appropriate time, is mostly all that's needed to
keep the main list a lot cleaner and more useful for its main purpose.

As a member of the main list, you can already post to the Off Topic
List, but if you want to see the messages, you'll have to subscribe,
much as you did to join the main Silver List.

To subscribe to the OT list, start a new e-mail message and type the
word 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

Make sure the body of your message is at least nearly blank, to lessen
the chance of something in the fancy formatting of your message doesn't
confuse the list server software.

Then, if you want to receive the OT list in regular format, address
your message to:

   silver-off-topic-list-requ...@eskimo.com

If you want it in digest form, send it to:

   silver-off-topic-digest-requ...@eskimo.com

Then hit the Send button.

You should receive a message from the list server confirming your
subscription. You'll start receiving messages as they're posted, or
digests at least twice per day when there's any traffic.

Two final bits of advice:

Please subscribe to the OT list from the same address that you're using
to receive the main list. This will avoid confusing the list server.

Please turn on Plain Text for messages to the silver list and OT list.
If you gussie your messages up with stationery or graphical
decorations, or your mail service tacks on some graphical banner ads or
other cruft, your message may be too big for the fairly strict message
size limit I have set for the list at present. It will silently bounce
to me, and I might not notice or have the energy to let you know what
happened and why.

Instructions, list rules and etiquette are discussed at:

   www.silverlist.org

I'm normally here, at mdev...@eskimo.com

Be well,

Mike Devour