On 9/30/2010 3:03 PM, Norton, Steve wrote:
The paper specifically states for each test except 5 and 6 in my
original comments that the silver nitrate derived nanoparticles were
used so let's skip discussing silver oxide.

1) Figure 1(a) shows the composition of the silver nitrate derived
silver nanoparticle solution. Figure 5 identifies the XRD peak at (111)
to be Ag.
I presume you mean figure 4, there is no figure 5. Actually they identify it as Ag(111). Do you know what these number (111, 220) are referring to? Somehow they do not make sense, for instance in Fig. 1(b) 311 is locatd between 220 and 222, and 222 is located between 311 and 400. Also the 111 peak jumps around depending on where they seem to want it, moving far left on the 1(b). Somehow this does not seem right and is inconsistent with other paper's reports of these peaks.
  And Figure 1(a) clearly shows a prominent peak at (111). The
broadening of peaks in Figure 1(a) is described as indicating the very
small sizes of Ag crystallites.
The peak at 111 is simply one of many possible forms of Ag crystal, including 200, 220 and 311.
Figure 1(b) shows the composition of the silver solution after the
reaction with HCL. The Ag peak at (111) is greatly diminished.
Significant peaks at (200) and (220) now show in the XRD pattern. Figure
5 identifies the XRD peaks at (200) and (220) as belonging to silver
chloride.
Are the peaks at 200 and 220 REALLY silver chloride? Figure 1B of another paper ( www.springerlink.com/index/710W187LW403T65T.pdf ) says that this is simply different forms of silver crystals - "Figure 1B .. A number of strong Bragg reflections can be seen which correspond to the (111), (200), (220), (311) reflections of cc (cubic crystals of) silver." If this is accurate, and I believe it is, that completely blows their theory out of the water since these peaks correspond with aggregated silver crystals and not silver chloride. Since (111) is I believe the smallest crystal form, then that it diminishes and the other forms increase is completely expected when particles aggregate into larger crystals.
Now, combine those results with the UV-vis absorption spectra shown in
Figure 2. The spectra of the silver solution after the reaction with HCL
indicates little or no silver particles remaining.
This is true for both of our analysis. They presume that the silver chloride precipitates out, I presume that the aggregated silver particles precipitate out. That is that this result supports both hypothesizes. Actually it is VERY easy to test which is correct. Take some 20 ppm EIS, and add a pinch of salt to it and let the silver chloride precipitate out. Then add the HCl and see if you get any additional silver chloride, if not then I am right, if so then they are.

If the silver chloride resulted from only silver nitrate and not from a
reaction of HCl with the silver nanoparticles, I would expect to see
indications of the silver particles still there.
Not if they aggregate and precipitate out as I have found they do when the pH is dropped significantly. Colloidal silver is only stable in water that is very near neutral or pH of 7. I see nothing that they are doing that would prevent this expected aggregation and precipitation when they drop the pH significantly.
  I would also expect to
see smaller XRD peaks at (200) and (220) since little silver chloride
should be produced by residue silver nitrate. Your conclusions would
assume a level of incompetence in the researchers that is unimaginable
to me.
No, they should be larger. First when hydrochloric acid is added to silver nitrate it produces silver chloride and nitric acid. But that should not change the peaks at 200 and 220 since those are crystalline forms of silver (see additional analysis of this below). When the crystals aggregate then the 111 drops and the higher orders increase. These lines are NOT silver chloride but simply larger silver particles as expected. I am not making any assumptions, I am simply analyzing the data, but I do question their competence somewhat now upon further research.

If we follow what happens if ANY silver nitrate is present we get the following actions:

AgNO3 + HCl - > AgCl + HNO3 (nitric acid)
HNO3 + Ag - > AgNO3 + HCl

This means that if you have ANY silver nitrate available, it will take place in a sequence of actions that will result in the conversion of silver to silver chloride when HCl is added, but will remain unchanged, that is it would be an active catalyst. Thus even if silver chloride IS generated when adding HCl, the results are nullified if there is even a trace of silver nitrate available since it would be taking place in the reaction.
2) Figure 4 (There is no Figure 5) is for a separate test in which the
chemical reactivity of Ag nanoparticles in a polymer matrix was also
been investigated. A separate and unique polyacrylamide (PAM)/Ag
nanocomposite was prepared and used for the test. I believe that the
broad peaks in Figure 4 are caused by the PAM material. In any case,
Figure 4 is not relevant to the Ag/HCl issue.

Except they are erroneously attributing the 200 peak to Silver chloride, when in fact it is the peak of one of the crystalline forms of silver particles.

Marshall
Regards,
       Steve