Nothing on my debian file server needs to be 24/7.  It's things like
photos, music, ISO images.  However I do want it segregated from the
Internet.

Actually I might have to have attempt 2 at nanobsd as that appears to be
targeted at what I am trying to do.  I tried to compile it on a freebsd
virtualbox machine and failed.  Must try again.

thanks, Philip