Hi Philip,

On 2012-05-20 13:20, Philip wrote:
> okay, figured it out
> adding
>
> setenv PACKAGESITE
> "ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.3-release/Latest/";
>
> to the end of /root/.cshrc
>
> then log out and in again seems to fix the issue.

HINT#1: Your own solution above does work - but is it easier to just set
and export the BRANCH variable to either:

BRANCH=8.3-release;
export BRANCH;

OR

BRANCH=8-stable;
export BRANCH;

Remember that "8.3-release" is a frozen snapshot of packages at the time
of 8.3 release - and it will never receive any updates - while
"8-stable" branch will...

HINT#2: I'm not a big fan of the PACKAGESITE env var it is easier and
shorter to use PACKAGEROOT to point to your nearest mirror ftp/http
server like this:

PACKAGEROOT=http://ftp2.de.freebsd.org/;
export PACKAGEROOT;

See list of FreeBSD ftp/http mirrors here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html

If PACKAGESITE is unset and PACKAGEROOT and/or BRANCH is set pkg_upgrade
will construct the correct path.

About one year ago or more I reported these things to Dominic Fandrey
the creator of "bsdadminscripts" - and I believe that he has
incoroprated the fixes in the release of bsdadminscripts that he was
working on - but the release never came.

/Uffe