> 3.  Scrambled: many high-bit characters

Not that it's a fix, but it may point you in a useful direction: is a
given character either always corrupted or never corrupted?  If so, it
might be worth looking at the parity of the characters; I've seen more
or less this behaviour when using an 8-bit-clean input and display to
talk with something that ignores input parity but generates even (or
odd) parity for echoed characters.

> Commands are recognized even though the echoed letters are wrong.

This matches the "parity" conjecture above.

                                        Mouse