On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Philip <s...@christiantena.net> wrote:

> /dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local, noatime)
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
> /dev/ad1s1d on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad1s1e on /data (ufs, local, soft-updates)

> I didn't ask for "soft-updates"; it seems to be the default.  Is it
> good/bad/doesn't matter on something like a net5501 ?  Reliability and
> crash recovery are more important to me than performance.

Softupdates is designed to maintain disk integrity in event of a crash
or power outage.  It tracks and enforces metadata dependencies.

No filesystem can guarantee against all data loss, but softupdates
maintains filesystem consistency.

I would not use softupdates for a stable queue - it destroys atomicity
of link/unlink operations, for example (though it is possible to force
data/metadata writes after link operations by opening the directory
itself rw, then immediately closing it, according to private
communication from Kirk McKusick).

I think that, for your purposes, it's the right choice.

- M