On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:55 AM, RB <aoz....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've experienced this on many recent computing electronics, including
> my MacBook Air.  There's a slight hiss under load, even on systems
> with no moving parts.  I'd put it at perhaps 10-15dB: audible but not
> necessarily untenable.

ditto. I don't know if I've ever seen a totally silent x86 machine,
including my home laptop and desktop. As soon as you quiet the fans to
a certain level you start to hear that buzz/ring/hiss sound that seems
to vary with processing load. Even small MIPS boxes can sometimes be
heard. Add to this the annoyance of an LCD monitor's ring, and perfect
silence is virtually unachievable with electronics, I think. :P

db