Hi Alex,

What the URL describes seems to be very far from a "full blown software
transceiver" in that it needs a soundcard and a complete conventional radio
(FT-817) to work!

For true "full blown SDR transceivers you should take a look at the Flex 5000,
3000 and 1500 transceivers. They are are highly sophisticated complete SDR
transceivers. The Flex 5000 is is up there with the best conventional ham
transceivers and are now the choice of many "big gun" DX'ers who have shelved
top class conventional rigs like Icom 7700, FTDX9000, Elecraft K3, etc.

At a another level you should take a look at the relatively low cost Icom 7000
transceiver - one of a number of contemporary transceivers using so called "IF
DSP". The Icom 7000 does not even claim to be an SDR and probably most owners
have no idea that at its lowest IF of 16.5KHz it is pure SDR with all filters,
modulation, demodulation etc being implemented digitally. This at least matches
what you are describing and it does not even need a computer! About all that is
missing is a decent spectrum and waterfall display. Add on a RFSpace SDRIQ
which can track automatically and you fix that and get two extra demodulation
channels.

73, Chris ZL1BOE