From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] on behalf of Eugen Sares
[softim...@keyvis.at]
Sent: 22 June 2012 08:15
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Fwd: Re: Who has switched to Vray and loves it?

Hi,
the most important feature for me would be a progressive-refinement-type Frame
Buffer/Render Region, like VRay-RT.
This reduces light and shader-tweaking iterations to a minimum. Arnold has it,
too.
Irradiance map/lightcache preview is helpful, but there should be the "final"
look right from the start, without black pixels inbetween.

Regarding VRay-RT: to me, it does not make much sense to fork VRay into CPU and
GPU versions, and dedicate the GPU-version only for fast preview (with missing
features), and the CPU-version for final rendering.
Is this still the official approach?
>From a user's standpoint, I don't want to worry about such things. If there's
>a GPU, use it, if not, offer progressive refinement anyway.
(I'm aware this is technically problematic. If one fine day CPU/GPU-memory gets
unified, this might be the start of a new age in rendering)

Another thing: VRay tends to have a somewhat overwhelming number of parameters,
so a good handful of render presets, including the "unified settings" would be
appreciated.
Also, a compehensive (short but not too short) documentation on how the
different render engines work and play together would be nice.
Best,
Eugen

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff:        Re: Who has switched to Vray and loves it?
Datum:  Fri, 22 Jun 2012 01:03:36 +0300
Von:    Kamen Lilov
<kamen.li...@chaosgroup.com><mailto:kamen.li...@chaosgroup.com>
Antwort an:
softimage@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>
An:     softimage@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>

I'd like to chime in to this discussion.

What are the things in VRay/XSI you hate most? A missing feature, clumsy
configuration, poor documentation, any kinds of instabilities, etc?

Disclosure: I run the XSI integration team at ChaosGroup so, obviously, I am
not impartial to this discussion. But I am keen on making the product work well
for all you VFX folks out there :) and I can take criticism. Shoot at will :)

On 6/21/2012 10:11 PM, Marc-Andre Carbonneau wrote:
Hi,
I’m wondering who has switched to VRay for Softimage completely and loves it.
I don’t seem to see much commercials or movies stating they have used Vray for
Softimage. Has it picked up?
Now, after a few months now, how does it compare to Arnold? Why have you picked
VRay instead of Arnold?
How’s Vray’s “buy one get 5 free for your farm” working for you?

Thanks.
Marc-Andre