From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Stefan Kubicek
Sent: 22 juin 2012 05:08
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Who has switched to Vray and loves it?

We've been using Vray for almost ten years, we started using it in version 0.74
beta in 3dsMax and the first image I rendered had GI and DOF enabled, and it
came out in PAL resolution in under a minute with superb quality on a 700mhz
AMD Athlon back then. I was blown away, bought a 1.0 license the minute it was
released and never regretted it.

XSI integration is pretty good for a first release, bug fixes come in quickly,
and the dev team is responding to bug reports and feature requests on the forum
usually within the day.

As a long time user I must admit that it does have more settings than Arnold,
but those only play a role once you start using the various GI cheats, like
Light Cache and Irradiance Map, which are nowadays, with fast computers, pretty
much obsolete (I find myself brute force raytracing  GI for the most part)
except for interior shots where they allow you to get really fast render times,
often 3-4 times faster than with Arnold/brute force for the same quality on the
exact same shot.

Things I miss in Vray:

- A bug tracker thats open to paying customers and beta testers. Bugs are being
reported on the forum, some double and triple, and it's hard for a single
individual keeping track of what's already fixed and what not, as well as
knowing what priority the bug currently has, etc.

- Better support of ICE. I haven't used the daily builds in a while so this
might have become better, but last time I checked (2-3 montsh ago) strand
renders looked quite different (sometimes wrong) compared to what you get with
MR, 3Delight and Arnold ootb. Sometimes it didn't render at all, depending on
what compounds were used.

- As Eugen said, progressive refinement of the render region. I find myself
continuously switching between AA settings just to get a quick preview (AA =
0), and higher settings. I suggested this a few months ago in their forum, but
since there is no bug tracker I can't check if I was heard. If that was there I
would not crave for VRayRT so much. Like Eugen, I believe that time spent on
VrayRT should rather be invested in making the Vray core faster, but I
understand that the RT branch might become the next big hit once GPU and CPU
are truly merged and use unified memory, or the memory bottleneck of GPU is
somehow solved differently.
Is that on any CPU makers disclosed road map?

- Faster hair rendering. Quality is good, but Arnold was still faster last time
I played with it.

-Faster export times, especially with ICE. Again, this might have been improved
with later nigthly builds.

What I really like about Vray:

- Fast interior GI rendering is possible.
- A clear shader strategy, it comes with pretty much anything you could need
out of the box. With Arnold, you very much need to resort to third party
shaders (e.g. Kettle Uber).
- Similar controls and output across different 3D packages.

What I miss in Arnold:
-Light portals (if they'd help any in bringing render times down), better light
transport for interiors.
-A feature complete "standard" shader.
-I was tempted to write "Nightly builds", but updates do come pretty
frequently, and one can compile the latest sources if he dares to.

What I miss in both renderers:
-Volumetrics!
-Rendertime Marching Cube/Blobbies (or similar) effect for particles. I don't
always want to mesh my particles first, generating gigabytes of mesh data.

With increasing hardware speed

> I'd like to chime in to this discussion.
>
> What are the things in VRay/XSI you hate most? A missing feature,
> clumsy configuration, poor documentation, any kinds of instabilities, etc?
>
> Disclosure: I run the XSI integration team at ChaosGroup so,
> obviously, I am not impartial to this discussion. But I am keen on
> making the product work well for all you VFX folks out there :) and I
> can take criticism. Shoot at will :)
>

> On 6/21/2012 10:11 PM, Marc-Andre Carbonneau wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm wondering who has switched to VRay for Softimage completely and
>> loves it.
>>
>> I don't seem to see much commercials or movies stating they have used
>> Vray for Softimage. Has it picked up?
>>
>> Now, after a few months now, how does it compare to Arnold? Why have
>> you picked VRay instead of Arnold?
>>
>> How's Vray's "buy one get 5 free for your farm" working for you?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Marc-Andre

Stefan Kubicek                   Co-founder
           keyvis digital imagery
          Wehrgasse 9 - GrĂ¼ner Hof
           1050 Vienna  Austria
         Phone:    +43/699/12614231
--- www.keyvis.at  ste...@keyvis.at ---
--  This email and its attachments are
--confidential and for the recipient only--