From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Stefan Andersson
Sent: Monday, 3 September 2012 9:32 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Friday Flashback

I don't know... it somehow feels that we are watching the death of Softimage.
Even though a lot of the managers are telling us otherwise, I don't think they
know themselfs. It's the big "overlord" that doesn't speak to the common people
that makes these decisions.
As far as Luc-Eric (even though he's now a Maya-Dev) and everyone else that has
tried to convince us that "don't worry, we are still around". I think that
Friday showed us all that we can't really trust what's going on. I mean... even
Chinny is gone. Halfdan left a while ago, and the list goes on.

Eventually Softimage will go away, just as Softimage|3D, Alias|PowerAnimator,
3dstudio, etc. So it's always good to keep our options open.

There's no doubt in my mind that Stephen and Guillaume will not be unemployed
for a long time. I think they have a greater more shiny future now :) It's more
annoing to us that people we used to know are now gone. And the people behind
the Software is gone... well... replaced by people we don't know.

Here is my take on the hole matter:

Softimage will stay intact as long as it generates more money that it costs to
keep in development.

Since Autodesk aren't releasing any numbers, we can only assume that it
generates money at the moment. 3dsmax and Maya is a different story though.

3dsmax is tied with 3ds design, which is popular in the CAD market
Maya is tied, to some extent, to Alias Studio, which is popular in the CAD
market
Softimage is tied to....

you get my point.

over and out.
Stefan Andersson

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM, olivier jeannel