Very true. I went to 3D school in NYC and ditched the Maya curriculum,
replacing it with XSI for whatever coursework I could and for my final
project. Even though all the classes were Maya based - even my MEL class
made me a better XSI artist in the end!
Besides making me a much more productive student (I was part-time so didn't
feel the need to waste what little time I had fighting with Maya), I knew
that focusing on XSI could land hopefully me some really interesting work
prospects in NYC. I don't know, maybe it gave me an edge?
I don't regret that for a moment. And despite all the negative talk around
Softimage these days, if I were talking to a student in NYC or London I
would still recommend learning Soft for those same reasons and now since we
have ICE, there are a few more!

Ciaran