I tried out Gustavio's clever approach and it works, but on my machine at
least it doesn't appear to be behaving quite like a true MatCap, in that
the results seem to be in object space as opposed to camera space (but I've
got a weird graphics card so it might just be me?)

Plus I didn't like having to use it as an environment map. So I went into
Mental Mill and mucked about, only to realize that all the metaSL shaders
mental mill is built on are now in softimage.

In essence, mental mill is now (effectively) in the rendertree for all
softimage users.

Cool!

But I wanted a "fire and forget" solution for MatCap shading, so I
hunt-and-pecked my way through writing a metaSL MatCap shader directly.

It seems to be working fine on my box, but I'm a pretty crap shader writer
so I would appreciate any suggestions for improvement from any gurus out
there.

*You can find it here* - http://andy.moonbase.net/archives/1037

Cheers - AM