Title: Signature
Yes, you can use standard Softimage lights, although RS has its own light primitives that may be more optimized. Haven't fully tested that yet. For a list of compatible shaders see the following two pages in the RS documentation:

http://docs.redshift3d.com/Default.html#I/Supported Shaders Softimage.html
http://docs.redshift3d.com/Default.html#I/Supported Shaders Mental Ray.html

-Tim C.