I agree with Raffaele. I think it may be fine to complete your current tool
projects for SI, but starting new ones just doesn't make too much sense.
I'm not a TD (just a guy who script a little) but I'm planing to finish and
polish a few tools I have so I can use them meanwhile I have some Softimage
projects but that's it.

I suggest to put your efforts in making Maya or whatever you chose, a
little Softimage like. That would be awesome.

Personally I plan to increase my Maya scripting skills in the next months,
and hopefully try to make it less painful.

Martin