Thought I'd pipe in since tekano got invoked, also slowly attemting to
transition and agree with most already said and thanks, is already a huge
pointer to as yet unknown aspects and features of how complex houdini is.
 also would be interested in a more 'compounded' way of learning Houdini
like ice was introduced. Everything a compound node of nested compound
logic with exact same UI logic and Core nodes and complexity under the hood
but still accessable in a single click and an 'easy for artists' ability to
follow the logic flow into further nested compounds and see how it was
made. Not so with houdini yet 😎 open one compound and is equivalent to
inside of the neighborhood telephone junction box. Part of the enjoyment,
for me, was building own logic and then seeing the contrast of the
'Softimage' way, and for sure, if you are building something fairly complex
requiring macro detailed interactions with something of a much larger
scale, eg characters running through a several fields of flowers,  then
somethings can be improved or optimised from the off the shelf examples.
Otherwise prepare for big data and long iteration times. It seems covering
all bases like the 'houdini' way is fine for examples and base setup but
not so in more complicated tasks is better to be good at understanding
which bits to leave out. 😀 or be able rapidly prototype your own. I think
like Mr Bolland has done and Pooby is asking for is these intermediate
compounds between that Softimage bought with it to help us poor artists out
😂