Back then modeling with NURBS was the norm, not the exception.

SI3D didn't have any texture unfolding projection methods (only planar,
cylindrical or spherical).  Creating custom UV layouts was possible, but a
real pain as the UV layout editor was designed for low resolution polygon
meshes used in early 3D games, not movie quality high resolution geometry,
and you could only manipulate one UV at a time.  Graphics hardware capable
of displaying textures on geometry still cost a premium, so workflow often
included jumping out to the renderer to check in on your progress from time
to time.  To create custom UV layouts required a huge amount of manual labor
moving points individually, or you'd resort to clever repurposing of other
tools such as RenderMap.  But any respectable studio with a decent budget
would've exported the geometry to a 3D paint program like Amazon Paint or
DNA's Flesh for that work.  Working with polygons pre-2000(ish) was a real
chore due to lack of decent hardware acceleration and tools.  Finally, don’t
forget SI3D was limited to 60,000 triangles per scene.  You could increase
that limit by modifying an environment variable, but doing so ran the risk
of corrupting memory and other issues with the graphics hardware.  When you
have to animate scenes containing many bugs like in Starship troopers,
working with NURBS allowed a much higher number of bugs to appear onscreen
before you hit those limits as you could reduce the bugs' geometry to 1x1
interpolation in U and V.  That's another prime reason why NURBS were used
so much back in the day.

NURBS had significantly better system performance during animation playback
compared to polygons.  Still does today. A lot of it has to do with the
geometry description as NURBS requires only a handful of control point
positions as input even for large and complex shapes.  The rest is derived
from interpolation which can be performed in hardware and highly optimized
without much fuss as the geometry has a very well defined organization which
is highly scalable and predictable.  Graphics libraries, like OpenGL, can
use triangle strips and other optimization methods to draw large amounts of
geometry quickly with minimal overhead.  Polygons (and subDs) are arbitrary
and often cannot take advantage of those optimizations.  XSI has many core
features optimized for working with NURBS such as auto-LOD control when
manipulating the camera, manipulating the geometry, or performing animation
playback.  While many people, especially today's generation of artists, are
deeply against using NURBS at all, I think that mentality is a big mistake.
A lot of that thinking has to do with not properly learning what NURBS are
or having a decent environment to work with them.  NURBS aren't meant for
every modeling or animation task, but for some they provide elegant
solutions which do not exist (or do not compute very well) for other types
of geometry.

Matt