Our users can blow up the parser without special characters.

  AND THE BAND PLAYED ON
  TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT

Lower-casing in the front end avoids that.

We have auto-complete on titles, so the there are plenty
of chances to inadvertently use special characters:

  Romeo + Juliet
  Airplane!
  Shrek (Widescreen)

We also have people type "--" for a dash in titles.

wunder