This is what appears in Address Bar of IE:
http://localhost:8080/apache-solr-1.2.0/select/?q=item_name%3A%22Romeo%2BJul
iet%22%2Bcategory%3A%22books%22&version=2.2&start=0&rows=10&indent=on

Input was:
item_name:"Romeo+Juliet"+category:"books"

Another input which works just fine: item_name:"6'\"" (user input was just
6'2")

It is not a bug/problem of SOLR. SOLR can't be exposed directly to end
users. For handling user input and generating SOLR-specific query, use
something... So that I don't really understand why do we need HTTP caching
support at SOLR if we can't use it without "front-end" (off-topic; I use
HTTP caching at front-end, and don't use SOLR's HTTP-cashing at all,
especially because it can't reply on request with If-Modified-Sinse header).