Well, not necessarily.  At the moment, spamdyke is only vulnerable to a
very small part of the DNS spoofing attack.  Most of the danger Dan
Kaminsky discovered comes from caching -- a vulnerable host could cache
incorrect DNS data sent by the attacker.  spamdyke doesn't cache DNS
information, so that's a moot point.

To be completely honest, there is a small danger that spamdyke could
receive spoofed responses from an attacker, if the attacker sends
packets with the correct ID numbers to the correct port before the
"real" nameserver could respond.  The chances of success are very, very
low (but not zero) because each spamdyke process uses a different UDP
port for its DNS traffic, which only remains open while the process is
running.  Also, the starting IDs for the queries are chosen randomly by
each process.  It's not like a BIND server that uses the same port for
thousands of queries and increments its IDs in a predictable pattern.

If someone did manage to spoof responses to a spamdyke process, the most
they could achieve would be an incorrect result for an RBL or rDNS
query.  As a result, if a message were accepted improperly, the only
consequence is one piece of spam being delivered.  Alternatively, if a
legitimate message were rejected improperly, the sender would receive a
bounce or the remote server would retry later (depending on the filter
and the attacker's data).  There's no way to corrupt or intercept email
with this attack.

So, I plan to look at randomizing the query ports.  It's not a complex
change, so it'll probably be in the next feature-release or two.
Because the risk is so low, I may not implement it if the overhead is
too high.  Either way, I plan to remain calmer than CERT/CC did. :)

-- Sam Clippinger