I found that greylisting is still a significant deterrent. A rough examination of the total number of greylist files to the number of empty ones says that, after all the whitelist and blacklist operations, about 25% of the graylisted emails didn't get through. I regularly identify graylisted items that should be whitelisted, so that may bias the results.

Gary

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad

On Jul 10, 2012 8:17 PM, Eric Shubert <e...@shubes.net> wrote:
On 07/10/2012 04:48 PM, BC wrote:

> How interesting. Well, whatever the reason I still only very
> occasionally get any spam, yet when I look at the maillog there are
> countless attempts to send me span each day. One in particular that
> is amusing is to one email address I used exactly ONE time 10 years
> ago. There are hundreds of attempts to send me email to that address,
> every day.
>
> So spamdyke is still tops in my mind and I look forward to Eric's
> findings.

I've disabled graylisting on a few domains that are sensitive to timely
delivery. They haven't complained about any increase in spam. You might
try doing the same to see the effect.

I expect that the various rDNS filters, along with blacklists, are doing
an adequate job.

--
-Eric 'shubes'