On 11/23/2013 09:05 AM, BC wrote:

> On 11/23/2013 8:55 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:
>> Having said that, I've come to the conclusion that graylisting isn't
>> worth it to me. I disabled graylisting several months ago, and haven't
>> really noticed any less effectiveness. Measuring the effectiveness of
>> graylisting properly is very difficult, and it's a pain for users
>> (myself included) at times. With all of the other filters spamdyke
>> provides, I don't think the cost of graylisting is worth the benefit. Of
>> course, YMMV.
>
> Curious you bring that up.  In perusing the logs, it (very subjectively)
> looks like r_dns lookups are blocking 95% of the spam, RBL is getting
> about 4% and graylisting is only being invoked about 1% of the time.

That feels about right to me, again very subjectively. The tough part
about measuring graylisting is that of the 1% of the times it's invoked
how many were spam? It's pretty hard to tell. I don't know of anyone
who's measured this accurately.

I suppose the pruning script could be modified (quite easily in fact) to
give a count of how many empty files it removed. I think that would be
an accurate measure. I'm a little surprised I didn't think of that the
last time I edited the script. I'll see about making that change when I
put the script in the spamdyke rpm (and on github).

> But what is the "cost of graylisting"?  Graylisting delays a legit email
> by X amount of minutes.  Is that the pain of which you are talking?

Yes. I realize that the impact of the delay is infrequent, but when it
happens, it's really annoying, and it impacts productivity. In my case,
it usually happens when an email confirmation or notification of some
sort is required to do something. This is the absolute worst time for
there to be a delay, as it interrupts that process.

As a user, I was very happy to have graylisting turned off. As an email
administrator, I am tired of trying to explain how delaying delivery of
email is necessary to help reduce spam. Graylisting is simply not a good
solution because of the negative impact on the users.

--
-Eric 'shubes'