I think the entry in your whitelist_recipient file is the issue -- the format
for a wildcard doesn't use an asterisk.  Try changing it to just this:
        @hosted-domain.com

And yes, you're correct that spamdyke doesn't need to be restarted when you
change any of its config files -- it rereads them each time a connection is
started.

-- Sam Clippinger