Regex support is on the (rather lengthy) to-do list, but frankly it's not a
very high priority -- there's a lot of low-hanging fruit that would be of much
more benefit right now.  Plus, since I'm not one of the 10 people in the world
who completely understands regexes, I doubt I would actually use them myself;
I'd rather add globbing support, which I do understand. :)

spamdyke's header filter runs at connection time, as all of its filters do.  If
a header line matches a blacklisted pattern, the entire message is rejected
(the sending server receives an error code, qmail never sees the message).

-- Sam Clippinger

On Jun 19, 2015, at 9:09 PM, Philip Rhoades via spamdyke-users
<spamdyke-users@spamdyke.org> wrote:

> Sam,
>
> See inline comments:
>

> On 2015-06-20 11:53, Sam Clippinger via spamdyke-users wrote:
>> You're correct spamdyke does not support regexes for any of its
>> options, but you can use a wildcard in a sender or recipient
>> white/blacklist file to match entire domains by prefixing the line
>> with an @ symbol. For example:
>> @example.com [1]
>

> Yep, saw that - is it possible to support regexes in the future?
>

>> Full documentation here:
>> http://www.spamdyke.org/documentation/README.html#REJECTING_RECIPIENTS
>> [2]
>> BUT! Be careful -- the "To" and "From" lines in the message header are
>> not the same as the "sender" and "recipient". The sender and recipient
>> are part of SMTP, the To and From lines are part of the message data
>> and are completely unrelated. Think of it this way: when a letter is
>> sent through the post office, the name on the outside of the envelope
>> tells the postman which mailbox gets the envelope (or where to send it
>> back to) but top of the letter inside may have a completely unrelated
>> letterhead and salutation. Whenever spamdyke's options/documentation
>> refer to a "sender" or a "recipient", it means the name on the outside
>> of the envelope. The user never sees those values in their mail client
>> unless the sender chooses to use those values in the To and From
>> fields. Spammers typically fake all sender/recipient/To/From fields,
>> but other software does too for perfectly legitimate reasons (e.g.
>> mailing lists, autoresponders).
>

> Right.
>

>> If you want to block based on the To
>> and From lines the user sees in their mail client, you should look at
>> spamdyke's header blacklist filter:
>> http://www.spamdyke.org/documentation/README.html#HEADERS [3]
>

> In that case the mail has already been accepted?  When I was using the
> qmail-qfilter+Ruby script method - my understanding of it at least - was that
> my Ruby script could process the header and body of the email and exit with a
> particular error code if the mail was bad and this would terminate the SMTP
> negotiation with that error message (eg drop the mail silently).  So in this
> case I was able to look at all the header fields as well as the mail body and
> do whatever I wanted before accepting the mail.
>

>> Header filtering doesn't support regexes either, but it does use
>> "globbing" to allow more wildcard options.
>

> Right.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.
>

>> On Jun 19, 2015, at 7:47 PM, Philip Rhoades via spamdyke-users
>> <spamdyke-users@spamdyke.org> wrote:
>>> People,
>>> As well as using GreyLite I have done my own thing for many years
>>> with qmail-qfilter and a Ruby script (it started off as a Ruby
>>> learning exercise . . ) - anyway for my white and black lists I was
>>> able to have in the plain text files things like:
> [...]
>>> america.com
>>> ecolife
>>> where if any of those particular regexes appeared in the To: or
>>> From: or whatever, they could be allowed or blocked or whatever - I
>>> am guessing that eg the recipient-blacklist-file=FILE only allows
>>> for full email addresses?
>>> Thanks,