Having a debate on which sprinklers actually have to be part of the
hydraulic calculation in a residential unit in a 13 building (So the
calculation has to include 4 sprinklers) - NFPA 13, 2013

11.3.1.1* The design area shall be the area that includes the four adjacent
sprinklers that produce
the greatest hydraulic demand.

With 11.3.1.1 in mind if you have a space where you have less than 4
sprinklers in a compartment and you have to start adding sprinklers in
other compartments to come up with 4 in the calculation, what is the method
that you have to use?
So for arguments sake this scenario is 2 sprinklers in one compartment and
then two "adjacent" sprinklers outside of that compartment but there are
sprinklers in different directions that can be considered as "adjacent"

   1. Adding sprinklers from the next compartment on a different sprinkler
   line which would qualify as an "adjacent sprinkler" and potentially have 4
   sprinklers fed form 3 different lines or
   2. adding "adjacent sprinklers" that are first on a common sprinkler
   line and potentially having 3 sprinklers on a single line.

My argument is that scenario 2 has to be followed as that would produce the
largest demand to a sprinkler line and if required increase the size of
that line.
The other argument is that in scenario 1 they are picking the "adjacent
sprinkler" that has a larger protection area, so the actual water flow
might be slightly higher but it spreads the flow through 3 different lines
instead of only 2

So scenario 1 has more flow but less pressure loss resulting in smaller
piping and scenario 2 has less flow but more pressure loss requiring larger
pipe to be installed.

So what are other people doing in these situations and what is really
considered as producing the greatest hydraulic demand? I always choose
whatever gives me the greatest pressure loss not necessarily the larger
flow.

I will be on Holidays from August 12th to 21st, returning to work on
Tuesday August 22nd

Thanks

Brett Peters
General Manager Installation & Design
Proudline Fire Protection Services Ltd.
br...@proudline.ca
780 490 7602 office ext 202
780 490 7605 fax
780 777 0568 cell
780 718 2676 24h
Visit us at www.proudline.ca

Proudline now offers ULc listed monitoring services, please contact
a...@proudline.ca for more information