From: Brett Peters <br...@proudline.ca>
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2023 11:15 AM
To: Sprinklerforum <sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org>
Subject: [Sprinklerforum] Residential Design in NFPA 13

Having a debate on which sprinklers actually have to be part of the hydraulic
calculation in a residential unit in a 13 building (So the calculation has to
include 4 sprinklers) - NFPA 13, 2013

11.3.1.1* The design area shall be the area that includes the four adjacent
sprinklers that produce

the greatest hydraulic demand.

With 11.3.1.1 in mind if you have a space where you have less than 4 sprinklers
in a compartment and you have to start adding sprinklers in other compartments
to come up with 4 in the calculation, what is the method that you have to use?

So for arguments sake this scenario is 2 sprinklers in one compartment and then
two "adjacent" sprinklers outside of that compartment but there are sprinklers
in different directions that can be considered as "adjacent"

1.      Adding sprinklers from the next compartment on a different sprinkler
line which would qualify as an "adjacent sprinkler" and potentially have 4
sprinklers fed form 3 different lines or
2.      adding "adjacent sprinklers" that are first on a common sprinkler line
and potentially having 3 sprinklers on a single line.

My argument is that scenario 2 has to be followed as that would produce the
largest demand to a sprinkler line and if required increase the size of that
line.

The other argument is that in scenario 1 they are picking the "adjacent
sprinkler" that has a larger protection area, so the actual water flow might be
slightly higher but it spreads the flow through 3 different lines instead of
only 2

So scenario 1 has more flow but less pressure loss resulting in smaller piping
and scenario 2 has less flow but more pressure loss requiring larger pipe to be
installed.

So what are other people doing in these situations and what is really
considered as producing the greatest hydraulic demand? I always choose whatever
gives me the greatest pressure loss not necessarily the larger flow.

I will be on Holidays from August 12th to 21st, returning to work on Tuesday
August 22nd

Thanks

Brett Peters

General Manager Installation & Design

Proudline Fire Protection Services Ltd.

br...@proudline.ca <mailto:br...@proudline.ca>

780 490 7602 office ext 202

780 490 7605 fax

780 777 0568 cell

780 718 2676 24h

Visit us at www.proudline.ca <http://www.proudline.ca/>

Proudline now offers ULc listed monitoring services, please contact
a...@proudline.ca <mailto:a...@proudline.ca>  for more information

<https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/mail-sig/AIorK4wRo6r0eNDUWx8YR-4XJLvwcnouQn_xEZH_HIb4jDbepWtON2RWC-ekzvZHKtncFOQqPcNQfzM>

<https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/mail-sig/AIorK4yJVI287VPLDWiW9maE2Np3U4CdszCY9deeyaLl8DM90wlBd7pnuOZV9U-swv-7gWN_24py6vo>

<https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/mail-sig/AIorK4wlGmqj6Ja06DKOIMLPvEE8B2W8fT_TPPA3w-4JfqygLq9n77ECSni09YLIVICXJYzWo4Z0PjU>