Happy Friday Forumites:

I'm doing an assessment for a client who's being compelled to upgrade their
DCDA to an RPDA in an area that is served by a public water system zone that
has dropped significantly in working pressure since the time the subject
building was certified for occupancy.   Typically in this scenario, the City of
San Diego requires that you prove that the residual pressure and flow on the
calc' card can still be met after additional pressure loss is taken for the RP
device, but in this case it cannot.   So we're looking at it from a
protect-to-suit standpoint so that the owner and tenants can at least maintain
ongoing operations.  Ran into a fishing lure manufacturer in one of the suites
and they make swim baits from Plastisol, which is essentially liquid PVC,
60-100% depending on application.    The fire and ignition info on a standard
form MSDS states "Not applicable" for the metrics we use to evaluate flammable
liquid class, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience classifying this liquid
(there are 9x 55 gallon drums in the suite) and what the flash point and
commodity classification might be once it's been baked into fake sardines and
whatnot?   I'm assuming its Group A since it's PVC and semi-solid at that point.

[cid:image001.jpg@01DA8CD0.D877B160]
Steve Leyton, President
T  |  619.255.8964 x 102  |
www.protectiondesign.com<http://www.protectiondesign.com/>
2851 Camino Del Rio South  |  Suite 210  |  San Diego, CA  92108
Fire Protection System Design | Consulting | Planning | Training