I'd like to replace the use of Berkeley DB in RPM with SQLite.

The scenario is special in the follow way. There is no database server, all access goes directly to the database. Unprivileged users without write access to the RPM database are expected to run read-only queries against the database. Privileged users (basically, root) is expected to use locking to exclude concurrent writers. But read-only users should not be able to stop acquisition of a write lock.

Is there a way to do this with SQLite?

One way that would work is to copy the database file after each modification to a read-only public view. But the database can be fairly large, so this doesn't look feasible until we have reflink support at the file system level.

Thanks,
Florian