On 24 Nov 2016, at 1:41pm, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Item 5 says:
>
> “
> It is not possible to open read-only WAL databases. The opening process must
> have write privileges for "-shm" wal-index shared memory file associated with
> the database, if that file exists, or else write access on the directory
> containing the database file if the "-shm" file does not exist.
> ”
>
> So WAL mode does not work in this scenario.

Good point.  However, I believe it works fine, in that as long as Unprivileged
users without write access don’t actually try to write to the database file the
system works.  However, you may be correct and you should test it under your
operating system.

One other thing to try would be to have a read/write client open the database
before any read-only clients need to open it. That would create the .shm file
meaning that the Unprivileged users don’t have to.  However, I can understand
if this solution is not suitable for your situation.

Simon.