On 3/24/17, James K. Lowden <jklow...@schemamania.org> wrote:

> We know SQLite parses SQL to produce byte-code for its virtual
> machine.  And we know that's an abstract syntax tree.  And we know
> trees can be represented as tables.  Therefore we know the AST could be
> returned as tables.  That was my suggestion.

The AST used by SQLite changes.  Frequently.  If we provide an
interface that returns the AST as a (virtual) table, that would make
the AST an interface, and prevent us from enhancing it in the future,
for new features or performance improvements.

Furthermore, the current AST for Fossil is rather non-intuitive.  It
is not a straight-forward translation of the SQL, but rather employs
many tricks and hacks to make it small and fast.  If it were available
to you, it would require a great deal of documentation to understand
and even then might not be helpful.

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org