I was drafting a "don't confuse `popular` [a collective human bias] with `most-used` or `most widely deployed` [value statements]" response, but I see others have already done so...

I would like to add that often if I mention "SQLite" in conversation with random people (even technical sometimes) I need to immediately follow it up with a short bio, whereas in 90% of cases those same people already know the term "MySQL". I think SQLite is mostly used as backbone data handling for really technical people and their software inventions, hence being so widely employed and being used near everywhere, but any script kiddie in a basement hacking out his/her first website is bound to be in the presence of MySQL - or, if they fancy themselves as technically-minded a cut above the rest, then perhaps PostGresSQL.

I wouldn't dispute MySQL's claim as most popular, neither SQLite's claim as most widely deployed - both seem quite accurate, or at a minimum, plausible.