Richard,

Your description of the rational for the new pointer values is sound and quite
reasonable.  I believe that it meets all the requirements you have set out to
prevent SQL from being used to either retrieve or set arbitrary internal use
(that is internal to both the application and SQLite3) pointers that was not
directly intended (and pre-coded) by the application developer.  How much of a
security risk being able to do so would present is not particularly relevant to
the implementation and is difficult to estimate because it certainly varies
considerably by host OS.  Simply eliminating the possibility of vulnerability
via this method is adequate and commendable.

It should be noted however that this does not in any way prevent or mitigate
that a "malicious application" will in fact be able to access or set pointer
values, however, this is not within the scope of the change.  The scope of the
change is to protect existing and future applications from being used to
perform side channel pointer attacks via crafted SQL injections that were not
intended by the application author.  At this it will succeed brilliantly.

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.