Here is the runtime of using "select where like" (with %) on a .sq3 file.

real    0m23.105s
user    0m12.765s
sys     0m2.882s

Here is the runtime of zgrep (roughly equivalent, except that zgrep
search for the whole line).

real    0m33.814s
user    0m40.927s
sys     0m0.660s

Given the much larger disk space required, for an occasional search of
the data, it seems that it makes no sense to use sqlite3 if disk space
is a major concern.

--
Regards,
Peng