Why not use INSERT OR REPLACE to your advantage?

If you set the maximum number of log entries you wanted to keep, then kept
track of your log insert statement,  you could wrap by

int this_log_entry_id=1; //initialize..  actually could be initialized by
getting the log entry id of the min date in your log at the beginning of
your program.

if (this_log_entry_id > max_log_entries){
     this_log_entry_id =1;
}
else{
   this_log_entry_id
}

call_insert_function (this_log_entry_id /*becomes the primary key that you
are inserting or replacing*/ ,  data_to_be_logged ,.....

Adam

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 10 May 2011, at 1:57pm, Lauri Nurmi wrote:

> >> There isn't one.  SQLite would not know which records to delete.
> >
> > If such a pragma existed, SQLite wouldn't need to delete anything
> > necessarily, it could behave like it behaves when trying to write to a
> > full disk.
>
> Good idea.  Or introduce a new result code for 'Database has reached
> maximum allowed size'.  Presumably it would be handled as fixing the number
> of pages.  Might be useful for small platforms like cellphones, where
> running out of memory is a disaster.
>
> Simon.

VerifEye Technologies Inc.
905-948-0015x245