Dagdamor wrote:
> Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net> писал(а) в своём письме Mon, 06 Jun
> 2011 05:08:45 +0600:
>> MySQL should not be considered as the default choice of a non-lite SQL
>> DBMS, for projects not currently using it, when you have a choice between
>> multiple SQL DBMSs; instead, the default non-lite choice should be
>> Postgres.
>
> Wow, communistic regime is back! Thanks for telling me what I should do and
> what not, what I should use and what not. ;)

What I'm saying is analogous to saying people should default to wearing helmets
when riding bikes and only not wear helmets on bikes when they can justify it.
You'll still get where you're going either way, but one way is the typically
safer one.

> Mind you, once Postgre will become more or less known world-wide (its usage
> is not comparable with either MySQL or SQLite which are way more popular),
> you will have exactly the same issues: lots of bugs open, lots of features
> missing, lots of holes in SQL compliance found. The fact that all that wide
> field is not discovered yet, doesn't make Postgre "the best".

Postgres is quite widely used already, though not as widely as MySQL, so it
gets
a big workout and exposure of bugs.

One big reason I recommend Postgres as a first choice now is that I have some
familiarity with the community that makes it.

The Postgres makers take quality and reliability as top concerns, and have for
long time, so to make the product much more solid.  They have high standards
for
declaring the DBMS production ready and lengthy testing/shakeout periods.

Despite this, Postgres still releases a major version about once per year,
where
each version goes through alpha/beta/RC/etc stages on a semi-predictable
schedule.

And then after it is released, a major version is only updated minimally, to
fix
security or other bugs that become known, so users can be confident that minor
version updates are just going to be more solid and not risk breaks due to
larger changes.  New features or non-bugfix changes only come out in the yearly
major versions.

I don't believe that MySQL development has anywhere near this kind of rigor.

See also the Change logs for both products with each minor release and just
what
kinds of bugs each one is fixing, including their severity.

-- Darren Duncan