Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net> писал(а) в своём письме Mon, 06 Jun
2011 05:43:47 +0600:

> What I'm saying is analogous to saying people should default to wearing
> helmets
> when riding bikes and only not wear helmets on bikes when they can justify it.
> You'll still get where you're going either way, but one way is the typically
> safer one.

Actually, what you're saying is: "you should wear red helmets, not the green
ones", and only because you heard somewhere that red helmets are "better".
Using Postgre is not much safer than using MySQL; both are programs with
inevitable bugs and imperfections in the code.

You don't even understand that each tool is for its job; running small and
medium web application (we aren't talking about monsters like
Google/Facebook/YouTube/Wikipedia here, although all of them also use MySQL
:)), especially where transactions aren't needed and SELECT speed is a primary
goal, is a very common task. You just say: for each new project, Postgre
"should" be used. No, it shouldn't. It depends on what you are planning to do,
in the first place.

> The Postgres makers take quality and reliability as top concerns, and have
> for a
> long time, so to make the product much more solid.  They have high standards
> for
> declaring the DBMS production ready and lengthy testing/shakeout periods.

Any advertizing of any product says the same. You really believe MySQL team has
any different approach, that their standards are lower? Up to the recent days,
Postgre was sadly known as "one of the slowest DBMSes ever". Is this a "high
standard"? What's the point in "quality and reliability" if you simply can't
get enough number of queries in a second, if Postgre cannot handle your
server's load?

By the way, does Postgre support clustering/replication natively? MySQL does.

> I don't believe that MySQL development has anywhere near this kind of rigor.

What makes you say that? I submitted few bug reports/feature requests in the
past, some of them were approved, some argued, but in all cases, I've got fast
and professional reply from the team. Just like here :) For a free product,
this is an excellent approach.

Regards,
Serge