Thanks everyone for the helpful answers. Here's some context:

The database I have is for academic purposes. Research groups will need to
be able to download it in order to do large-scale scans using it as input,
so putting it in a wrapper (in PHP, say) isn't useful. But, I don't want
someone else to take it, add to it, and put it online somewhere else, so
that there are multiple versions floating around the web. I don't mind if
there are multiple COPIES, but I want to make sure that they're all the
same.

Thanks again,
Ross