On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 20:33:04 +0200
RSmith <rsm...@rsweb.co.za> wrote:

> On 2014/11/10 20:22, Mike McWhinney wrote:
> > So SQLite shouldn't be used at all on a network?  Aren't there any
> > other provisions to handled the locking errors if/when they occur?
>
> It is not about SQLite, it is about the Networking systems lying
> about whether a file is locked or not. No RDBMS can trust the
> network, but the client-server types do not care since they control
> the locking and do not depend on the OS / file status. SQLite however
> depends on it and as such cannot accurately (or timeously I should
> say) verify such status via a Network. On a local drive this is never
> a problem.
>
> If you need Networking or User-control, please use a client-server
> type database.
>
> There is one Client-Server implementation of SQLite (SQLightening I
> think) but it is neither free nor easy to convert to. You can write
> your own server too, but the best bet is using MySQL or PostGres in
> these cases.

You can create your own sqlite server (I did and use it, with nanomsg for
client-server communication), it's medium-hard and for tiny hardware, near
embedded, works.

A good file to start with, as I did, is in Sqlite repository, check
http://www.sqlite.org/src/artifact/a2615049954cbb9cfb4a62e18e2f0616e4dc38fe
a.k.a. src/test_server.c

But, as others aim and hit, you should use a real C/S RDBMS, my preference,
PostgreSQL server.

HTH

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorr...@yahoo.es>