For the data collection systems we use we store only UTC in the database.
The application can translate times to the appropriate time zone and format
for the user as required.  This variable complexity needs to be controlled
into one layer of your program. Since governments, even some city ones,
have the authority to change the time zone or implementation date for their
population, there is a high potential for change. 3rd party time zone rule
libraries can externalize most of the maintenance work without affecting
the core app or the database.

regards,
Adam DeVita