On 2015-08-17 05:44 PM, John McKown wrote:
> I use both SQLite3 and PostgreSQL. One thing that would be really useful
> for me in SQLite3 which is in PostgreSQL is the INTO phrase. The PostgreSQL
> documentation this is here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/sql-selectinto.html

Hi John, firstly I agree that it is useful, but you do know it is
already possible with two other SQLite operations - namely, if the table
already exists, you can just do the INTO like this:

WITH RECURSIVE generate AS
    ( SELECT 1 AS seqno UNION ALL SELECT seqno+1 FROM generate WHERE
seqno<??limit??)
INSERT INTO table_of_integers SELECT seqno FROM generate ORDER BY seqno;

and, secondly, if the table does not exist yet, you can do this:

WITH RECURSIVE generate AS
    ( SELECT 1 AS seqno UNION ALL SELECT seqno+1 FROM generate WHERE
seqno<??limit??)
CREATE TABLE table_of_integers AS SELECT seqno FROM generate ORDER BY seqno;

I realize that you probably know these methods well and have some kind
of reason to prefer the INTO done as per your example - and, If it
offers something more than the above statements, I (for one) would like
to know the detail of it if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks!
Ryan