On 2015-08-17 11:29 AM, John McKown wrote:
> ?WONDERFUL! That just never entered my poor head. I guess that I was too
> used to the way I do it in PostgreSQL. The way things are going for me
> today, I feel that I'm in the lead role of "Moron Monday".?

You know, PostgreSQL supports the same INSERT...SELECT syntax that SQLite does,
and in any case that is the idiomatic way to do this operation.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-insert.html

So you can do it that way with both.

The whole SELECT...INTO thing is more of a relic that should not be used in
modern days even when supported, unless its the only option.  AFAIK,
INSERT...INTO was only ever for use within a SQL stored procedure for assigning
to a lexical variable.  At least I've never seen it used the way you introduced.

-- Darren Duncan