I second this notion. I think SQLite is uniquely suited to server based
applications of all kinds. Its light footprint and the fact that it's a
library rather than a full system gives it a flexibility and raw
performance that other systems cannot. We use it at the core of each node
in a distributed and parallel system.

When using SQLite the architecture of your database system is not
preordained by designers who could not foresee novel designs and
approaches. SQLite is like a systems programing language: It's lean and
mean and a powerful tool that gives full control to the systems designer
and programmer.

The only thing I'd change about SQLite is the SQL bit. To me it's an
anachronism and a mess and needs to be factored further out of the SQLite
core, with a more rigorous formalism providing an interface (with an
exposed and supported API) to the database engine, but at a higher level
than say the virtual machine.