Strongly agree with using the R package Sqldf.
I used both RSQLite and Sqldf, both worked extremely well (and I am both a
lazy and picky end user). Sqldf had the advantage that it took you all the
way to your destination the workhorse R object the data frame (R can define
new objects, but the data frame as an in memory table is the default).
The SQLITE3 command line interface and the R command line had a nice
synergy; SQL was great for getting a subset of rows and columns or building
a complex view from multiple tables. Both RSqlite and Sqldf could
understand the query/view as a table and all looping in both SQL and R took
place behind the scenes in compiled code.

Smart phone users say "there is an app for that". R users would say "there
is a package for that" and CRAN is the equivalent of the Apple app store or
Google Play.

R has packages for graphics, classical statistics, Bayesian statistics and
machine learning. R also has packages for spacial statistics (including
reading ESRI shapefiles), for graph theory and for building decision trees.
There is another whole app store for biological applications "bioconductor".

The CRAN website has "views" (pages or blogs) showing how packages solve
common problems in a variety of academic disciplines or application areas.

Jim Callahan