On Feb 18, 2015, at 3:13 PM, Roger Binns <rogerb at rogerbinns.com> wrote:

> On 02/18/2015 11:43 AM, Richard Hipp wrote:
>> but I think the truth is we are probably stuck with SQL for a while
>> yet.
>
> In theory there could be an intermediate representation form (like
> compilers do) that is publicly available, with the (now optional) SQL
> part producing IR, as well as any other query language
> implementations.  The LLVM project is an example of doing a design
> like this.

SQLite kind of already does this, if you consider VDBE instructions to be an IR.

I?ve often wondering how difficult it would be to put a new front-end on SQLite
to parse Tutorial D (or some other ?true relational? language) and generate
VDBE instructions.

 -j

--
Jay A. Kreibich < J A Y @ K R E I B I.C H >

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it, but showing
it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them feel uncomfortable." --
Angela Johnson