It was too much database for my purposes as far as this project was
concerned.  Same with PostgreSQL.  Also, I wanted something that would be
easily accessible from my android phone/tablet as well as my PC.

I have been using MS Access all along, and I really like the nice front end
and reporting capabilities that come with that.  But it costs money to keep
Access around, and it is usable only on my PC.  I decided I could live
without the prettiness so that I would have something that is more flexible
and will remain accessible even if I don't have a Windows machine in the
future.

Balaji Ramanathan