Thank you for those suggestions, Ryan.

I have used SQLiteExpert as well as SQLiteStudio.  I actually like the
latter.  It has some interesting features such as cell-by-cell rollback and
commit, the ability to add new rows to the bottom of a table regardless of
where your cursor is at currently, etc.  But it seems to be a single-person
development effort, so improvements are slow in coming. SQlite Expert has
its own advantages including built-in viewers for images so that images
stored as blobs in a SQLite db can be browsed instead of having to export
them as files before looking at them. I have never tried SQLiteSpeed, and
from its description, it seems to be very similar to the other two.

The strength of Access is not in having a good built-in front end, but in
giving the user the ability to build a good custom front-end.  Forms and
reports with a visual basic based programming language (VBA) behind it to
enable event-based computations, etc.  The ability to arrange inputs and
outputs using boxes that can be moved around on a page so that you get
exactly the look and feel you are looking for instead of the straight (but
endless) scrolling between rows and columns.  The flexibility to make the
forms and reports single-record or continuous.  A multitude of charting
options to visualize data rather than just looking at numbers.  And the
parent-child nesting of forms and subforms in Access is an elegant solution
to the problem of updating the main table while simultaneously adding new
entries to a related table to keep foreign keys in the main table in sync.
Nothing like that exists in any of the front ends I have looked at for
SQLite.  And unfortunately, Access can't read SQLite files directly either.

I don't blame SQLite for not having something like that.  In fact, I know
no other db product that comes with all this built-in.  There are bolt-on
products like crystal reports that will work with other db products to
provide this kind of reporting capability, but that just increases the
complexity of what all you have to pay for and keep up to date, and you can
completely forget about platform independence.

The only other way to handle what I used to do in Access is for me to learn
PHP and use a web browser as the front end.  That is now on my to-do list.
In the meantime, sqlite studio and sqlite expert are passable.

On the android side, there is a front end similar to sqlite expert called
aSQLiteManager (
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.andsen.asqlitemanager).
But this also seems to be more of a 1-person development effort, so I am
not sure how feature-rich it will eventually become.

Balaji Ramanathan

>I agree on the user-oriented front-end that MSSQL has, both in the SMS and
the Access application, but you'll find there are quite a few >that makes
life with SQLite a pleasure too - some of them very user oriented. May I
suggest, if you use Windows as a vehicle, you try >either:
>SLite Expert from: http://www.sqliteexpert.com/
>or SQLitespeed from: http://www.sqlc.rifin.co.za/
>
>If between those you don't get most of the features you need (or you need
it on other platforms or perhaps connectors), there are many >others that a
simple Google will find.