AS is optional as it was "syntactic sugar" added to SQL so that Managers and
others with no computer skills could read SQL too, just like the overriding
design principle of COBOL wasto be "so simple and english like that even
management could understand it".  Having to end each statement with a period
(.) was rejected because the period is already a reserved separator.  Other
syntactic sugar include the JOIN and ON syntax and keywords.

If sugary coatings were made mandatory then perfectly legal SQL written between
1972 and 1995 would all have to be recoded with the sugary coating, thus
breaking backward compatibility, and this was not a desired outcome of the
standardization process.