On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 2:55 AM, Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

> AS is optional as it was "syntactic sugar" added to SQL [...]

AFAIK, AS is necessary in UNION, at least on some RDBMS, to have the same
columns for all UNION'ed queries.
So in that sense, not strictly syntax sugar. And it's of course valuable to
give good names to complex expressions.
A good name goes a long way to make "code" (of any sort) more readable and
obvious.

Other syntactic sugar include the JOIN and ON syntax and keywords.

I'm not a manager, and I do have a few "computer skills" (I think), and I
still find JOIN ON much more
readable than the FROM-comma + WHERE alternative. Helps me "thread" the
table join in my head much better.
Definitely helps me "grok" a statement faster, so not syntax sugar to me.
My $0.02. --DD