On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Adrian Chadd wrote:

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008, Manoj_Rajkarnikar wrote:

I see that there is an option to specify the number of threads for aufs.
What is the optimum number of threads / what is the default number that
squid uses?? can it be altered to have effect on squid performance??

The optimum number of threads depends entirely on your situation.
It can be altered (and it should be a runtime tunable if it isn't! anyway..)
and having too many threads can result in your Squid performing poorly -
not because there's so many threads, but because it luls Squid's internal
code into thinking the disk system can handle much more of a load than it
can.

In my situation, I have only one cache that handles about 14 Mbits of intercepted traffic on 2 x 36GB scsi disks. Linux is on a separate sata disk. CPU is a P4 with HT enabled. I can see 2 aio processes. I assume those are the asyncio threads I currently have. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Bringing some kind of sanity to performance tuning storage is something
I'd like to spend some time doing but my free time is all booked up
at the moment, sorry. :0

We've seen tremendous increase in performance from 2.5 to 2.6/2.7. all credit goes to the squid dev team and to some extent, the user community bringing in patches and ideas. people are benefiting from it alot. Cheers...

Manoj